Most of us have a New Years resolution of losing weight. There are so many diet plans out there, that one can get easily confused. I have outlined the popular diet plans below.
- Atkins or Keto diet: This is a low carbohydrate, high fat and high protein diet. It focuses on protein sources such as meat, poultry, eggs, butter, oils and cheese. Carbohydrates such as bread, pasta and potatoes are avoided. By eating less carbohydrates,overall calorie intake is less as well the fat and protein keep you fuller longer
- Paleo Diet: This is also called the Caveman diet and is
a high fibre, high protein diet. It includes: fresh lean meats, fruits, vegetables nuts, eggs, olive and coconut oil. You cannot eat any processed foods on this diet.
- Mediterranean diet: This includes vegetables, fruits, herbs, nuts and beans. Meals are built around plant based foods. Moderate amounts of seafood, dairy, poultry and eggs are allowed. Red meat is eaten only occasionally.
- Plant based diet: This diet consists mostly entirely of foods derived from plants, including vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and fruits. There are no animal or dairy products.
- Intermittent Fasting: This is an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating. The daily eating period can be restricted to 8 hours, then you fast for 16 hours. You can skip breakfast and eat from 1 to 9 pm. According to U.S. News World report the best diet overall is the Mediterranean diet. People living in countries close to the Mediterranean Sea live longer due to their diet low in red meat, sugar and saturated fat. A plant based diet is the best diet for cancer prevention as increased consumption of meat and dairy products have been linked to prostate, breast, colon and esophageal cancers. The best diet is a lifestyle change. Avoid processed foods, sugars, preservatives, trans fats and hydrogenated oil. Processed foods are convenient but they can harm our health. If we focus on eating real food,instead of dieting, this might be a more enjoyable way to live and weight loss will also happen naturally.
by Dr. Nicole Sookan, MD